Salt la: navigare, căutare

Mănăstirea Xenofont (Muntele Athos)

3.106 octeți adăugați, 22 mai 2010 15:56
propunere de traducere din engleza
{{Traducere EN}}
[[Image:Xenophontos Monastery.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Xenophontos Monastery]]
name=Holy Monastery of Xenophontos|
type=[[Cenobitic]] Monastery|
superior=Archim. Alexios|
size=30-35 monks|
location=Southwest (near St. Panteleimon's)|
music=[[Byzantine chant]]|
feasts=[[April 23|St. George]]|
The '''Xenophontos Monastery''' (Greek Ξενοφώντος) is one of the twenty [[monastery|monasteries]] located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The monastery is on southwestern side of the peninsula near [[St. Panteleimon's Monastery (Athos)|St. Panteleimon's Monastery]]. Xenophontos ranks sixteenth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos. The monastery is dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer, celebrating the monastery [[feast day]] on [[April 23]].

First mention of the founding of a monastery was in 998, while the [[monk]] Xenophon is credited with building the monastery that bears his name in 1010. After the [[fall of Constantinople]], Xenophontos began a period of hard times as the monastery was alternatively destroyed by pirates and rebuilt. Each time rulers from eastern Europe would fund rebuilding efforts. Such attacks continued until the eighteenth century.

In the sixteenth century a [[katholikon]] was built near the entrance to the monastery in the southern part of the monastery precinct and dedicated to St. George the Trophybearer. This [[church]] featured frescos painted by Antonius of the Cretan school. In the eighteenth century the monastery began to prosper again and a new katholikon was built. It was also restored between 1817 and 1837. This church remains the largest katholikon on the Holy Mount. This building was located in the northern part of the monastery precinct.

Within the monastery precincts there are eight [[chapel]]s. Two of these are associated with the old katholikon where the chapels of St. Demetrios and St. Lazaros are within the katholikon. The other six, St. [[John the Theologian]], St. Euphemia, Ss. [[Cosmas and Damian|Cosmos and Damian]], the [[Dormition]] of of the [[Theotokos|Virgin]], the [[Presentation of the Theotokos|Presentation of the Virgin]], and St. [[Stephen]], are outside it. There are also six chapels outside the precincts of the monastery. Additionally, the [[skete]]s of the Annunciation and [[Skete of Xenophontos (Athos)|Xenophontos]] belong to the monastery.

The library of Xenophontos contains over 4,000 printed books and some 300 manuscripts.

==External links==
*[ Mount Athos]
*[ Xenofontos]
*[ The Monastery of Xenophontos]
*[ Holy Monastery of Xenophontos]

[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]

[[el:Ιερά Μονή Ξενοφώντος]]
[[en:Xenophontos Monastery (Athos)]]
[[fr:Monastère de Xenofontos]]
6.119 modificări

Meniu de navigare